Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Is it Friday yet?

Up to no good face
I'm going to deviate from my usual tract today.  The start of this week hasn't been pretty at all.  Sunday, I started to get the feelings of possible mastitis on my left side.  I'm slowly weaning my daughter (at least trying to) and I was feeling a little sore on that side and a little achey when I woke up on Sunday.  After closer inspection yup, I could feel a lump and some tenderness.  A quick background, I've had mastitis before so I know the signs and what to do when I think it's coming back. 

For moms out there that have been fortunate enough not to experience this. Mastitis is an infection within the breast tissue.  There are a few ways it can develop but in my case it was through milk stasis.  Since I have had mastitis before I am also more prone to another outbreak.  Mastitis can occur when your breast milk does not completely drain which adds pressure on the ducts and leakage of milk into surrounding breast tissue, which can lead to pain and inflammation. Symptoms include tenderness on the infected breast, red streaks, and flu like symptoms (fever, general weakness). For more information on mastitis follow this link to the Mayo Clinic

Luckily, I caught it early and was able to take steps to prevent it from worsening.  I made sure I lead breastfeeding sessions with that side and expressed what was left over.  I also applied warm compacts with the Booby Tubes I wrote about in a previous post. That was Sunday-Monday.

Tuesday, little Izzy had a 102 temperature and was Miss Cranky most of the day.  Today, I'm sick with a head cold. So I have the sinus pressure, sore throat, congestion, etc.  So far this week, ugh!  

2 comments:

  1. i was not sure if you would see that i commented back to you about the lighting so just letting you know i did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww is lil Izzy better now? Both of you be well & congrats on BFing her for that long! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...